KABALA THE LAND TO LIFT SALONE SKY HIGH

It was in 2008 when I first stepped my feet on the soil of Kabala, the capital and largest town of Koinadugu District in the Northern Province of Sierra Leone located about 300 km from Freetown (the national capital).


It was indeed an amazing moment for me when I made my first trip to that District, since that time I have taken upon myself to visit Kabala annually.
What I first discovered on my first visit was that Kabala is a tourist potential area in Sierra Leone. As I was driving along the most talked about SS curve, I began to realized how rich that place is nevertheless anothe thought that came to mind. When I was a little boy I heard people threatening others who cross their path saying, " I will visit Kabala for you" others will say "I am a Kabala born" sooner one hears that, he or she will gripped in panic because the name of Kabala was synonymous to mystical happenings.
One day I decided to ask a woman why people always use the name of Kabala to threaten people. She said "Kabala is the main home of 'juju', it is believed that when one utters a curse on someone it is definite that the curse will surely affect that person." I shook my head in deep thought. "They must be powerful" I said. It was indeed a slow ride along the SS curve, one of the historic symbols of Koinadugu District. I carefully watched that curve and the things that surrounded it. I saw a true nature of geographical beauty. Just after we came to the end of the SS curve, we gathered speed again.
Looking at the hills of Kabala as we drive by as I lifted by head on to the hills and lo and behold I saw a rock hanging on the pick of that hills. The rock was just like an eagle. It was very amazing for me to see such thing. I kept on watching it until my I decided to take a photo of it but the thing that came to mind was that a Journalist friend had told me a story about his cameras when he attempted to take a photo and his camera malfunctioned immediately. I got frightened and I quickly put my camera back in my bag but I was still looking at that 'eagle rock' as I decided to call it.
Finally we made it to Kabala, I first discovered that there was a change in the climate. It was very cold in that part at that time while I was told Freetown was hot when I made a call at that very time. The weather in Kabala is similar to that of the rest of tropical Sierra Leone: hot and humid. The average daytime temperature in Kabala is about 25°C. It rains during the months of May to October, while the dry season extends from November to March.
As I was searching for a guest house, I was carefully looking at the people, the things and words they say and the environment. It based on what I was told but to my surprise I got one of the best lodging places as my host prepared meal a for me and always make sure that I got hot water to take my bath.
I did not go in-depth on Kabala because of the time I should spent. "I will be back to know more about Kabala and its people" I said to my host who was pleading for me to extend my stay.
As I said earlier, it becomes an annual event for me to visit Kabala since 2008 to date. Kabala has a population of 14,108 according to the 2004 census, and a current estimate of 18,770. Kabala is one of the main cities in northern Sierra Leone and is set in a rural landscape. The city lies about 80 miles north-east of Makeni, the largest city and economic center of northern Sierra Leone and about 185 miles east of Freetown. The city is largely Muslim and the population is largely from the Limba, Mandingo, Fula and Kuranko ethnic groups.
My history book told me that after the Anglo-Franco settlement of 1895, the British colonial administration post was moved from Falaba to Kabala, then an insignificant village not shown on the detailed maps of the British. Kabala is a place name in the Limba language literally meaning 'at Bala' or 'Bala's place.' The Limba language utilizes the prefix 'ka-' as a place identifier. Postmarks on King George VI postage stamps use the spelling Kaballa. The town incorporates two chiefdom centers: Gbawuria the center for the Limba chiefdom of Wara Wara Yagala and Yogomaia the center for the Koranko chiefdom of Sengbe. With respect to native governance, Kabala is split between the Limba and Koranko Paramount Chiefs. Kabala grew rapidly under British rule. Traders and merchants were attracted to this colonial administrative town from the 1930s, and, after 1947, shop premises were opened by Lebanese traders.
In 2000 the United Nations reported that, after the Civil War, "Kabala, in the north, life appears to be returning to normal following fighting". In 2002 newspapers reported a visit to the town by "Bangladesh's visiting foreign minister", suggesting that the town had sufficiently recovered for it to be shown to important overseas visitors.
The city is home to several Lebanese residents, which means tourists usually find many Lebanese owned departmental stores and restaurants here. Kabala also has a large central business district.
Kabala has got a charming rural landscape and is rich in agriculture. This was proving in this year Koinadugu Agro-Cultural Shows. It was a significant portion of Sierra Leoneans converged on that farming community to celebrate a bumper harvest of crops and animals for the second time in a row. I was impressed to see vegetable such as carrot, cabbage, sweet potatoes, apple and the Irish potatoes now Kabala potatoes among others and all are product of Kabala.
The shows did not only show case the nature of agriculture but that of tourism. There was also a show of national costumes as successful farmers were dressed in their native 'ronkos' or country cloth gowns and rubber scandals in a display of durable culture and exciting national constumes and local regalia.
You will be move when you hear about the Luma Mountain the third largest mountains in West Africa, Wara Wara Mountain and the Lakesonfont. We will also be move when you hear about the natural mineral such as copper and gold.
Despite all these the district is still suffering from bad roads and under is developed.
All said an done it is good that Kabala has started the ball rolling, they have put behind them the 'juju' which they were using to destroy others and now focus on developing themselves and feeding the nation. We are now begining to see the Kabala potatoes which is so expensive in the market soon I believe local product will flood the markets maybe not only from Kabala but from other towns and villages. It now lies with the government to make sure that there is good road network from areas where they think goods are coming from so that it will not perish before reaching the market.
With such tourist attraction and now agricultural attraction it is my farm belief that Kabala is set to lift Sierra Leone sky high.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Awards In 2019… GT-SIMPAY Drives GTBank With Another Award

Providence Students Takes Centre Stage To Celebrate 10th Anniversary

Africell Gives Over Le 242 Million To Subscribers