WHEN DARKNESS INVADES THE ALMIGHTY BUMBUNA

It was a great moment for Trace to reach the home of the almighty Bumbuna.


Indeed I was at home watching a Nigerian movie title 'True Story'. The movie itself was centred around love and how a man lost his happiness at his home but when he went to the bush to hunt animals he eventually found happiness with a female farmer. At the farm, they usually spend time telling stories through which the man eventually discovered that he eases his stress. As he got used to that he began telling lies to his wife.
As that movie was played, I reflected on how life is treating people in this country and how people are unfaithful to their work and loved ones. Clearly there is light in any area where there is darkness if only we want it to happen, I said to myself. That brings to mind how it was for residents of Freetown when about five years ago Freetown was described as the darkest city in the world. Here I am to day watching movies after a stressful work. I said to myself again but one thing came to mind that made me pay a visit to the home of the electricity we are enjoying. As a way of getting the true story about Bumbuna, I decided to pay a visit there, as no one gets a true story when he goes in search.
That prompted me to inform my fiancée about my intention of visiting Bumbuna. She became jealous as usual knowing my motive of going to Bumbuna, I pleaded to her to show understanding and eventually she accepted and prayed for me to return safely. I left my home happily because of the blessing and prayer from my fiancée.
Eventually I made it to the almighty Bumbuna. I first discovered that Bumbuna is a pleasant looking town situated in the Tonkolili district and on the River Rokel. It is the home of the almighty Bumbuna Hydro-electric project and, as many people believe, holds the key to the door of rapid economic development in Sierra Leone. Due to this project the name Bumbuna is synonymous with economic development and prosperity and it has become one of the most famous towns in Sierra Leone.
The hills which surround the town made me reflect on the hills of Kabala one of Sierra Leone's tourists potential area. Bumbuna is proving to be a tourist potential town too, I said. The completion of the Bunbuna Hydro-electric project represents the nation's first, long-awaited step to secure an affordable power supply based on its indigenous and renewable energy resources and it is also a gold dust area besides the iron ore at Ferengbeya.
As I move further, I began to sense the nature of beauty of Bumbuna. The roads in the town. despite dusty was worth to ride on, the symbol of light was spotted on the street light in the township. It was day time when I entered the township. At the market place, I began to interact with people in the town; some are there in search of job as there are lots of companies in that town that provide jobs for the youth such as the African Minerals. I asked one of the youths if the street lights were working effectively. He said to me that it only worked for few days after which it went off. Deeply, I continued to search to ascertain if what he said was true. Similar story was told to me by an old man. He even went further by telling me that he does not even have electricity in his house.
"What history we have, just to say we own the home where light comes from but we are not enjoying it!" he lamented. He went on to say that one can only see 24 hours light where hydro is there. The street light are not working some are not properly fixed while vehicles have destroyed the others.
I was left wondering how such can be if only there is a proper plan for Bumbuna Hydroelectric project.
One of Sierra Leone's famous artist Emerson Bockarie sang about Bumbuna Hydroelectric which he said unless the rapture but it is here who can sing a song now that mighty Bumbuna Hydro -electric is in Freetown but those who are hosting it are not enjoying it? If that song is sung then there is justice for the people of Bumbuna. And besides they should not be considered second but first because they are the host for development.
Lets say Bumbuna Hydro-electric produce 15 megawatt, 5 megawatt should have been given to Bumbuna town for a start but leaving the entire town in total darkness is a shame.
It is true that the completion of the project will enhance economic development and provide opportunities to improve the quality of life for the people of Sierra Leone but if those who are hosting it are left out after the completion there is a problem on the part of the planner. It reminds me of the oil rich Niger Delta in Nigeria where its residents are still fighting government and companies for their share in the oil because they are the host community and they are making the country's economies develop. If the people of Bumbuna are not considered now it will come a time that they themselves will say enough is enough to darkness there must be light.
Freetown households are enjoying a reliable supply of electricity at a cost that suits many while large scale industries and small businesses are benefiting from reduced production costs due to lower tariffs for electricity. This is a tremendous multiplier effect thereby resulting in a number of positive key economic indicators such as lower inflation, increased investment, creation of jobs, the expansion of industry, reduction, tourism and many other sectors all leading to an overall development of the economy.
It is true that Bumbuna become a household name as a result of the Bumbuna Hydroelectric project and is now a strategic town in the country. Many people are now relocating to Bumbuna as a result of economic gains and there is a growth in population in that area it was manifested at the inauguration of the Bumbuna Hydroelectric power supply some year ago by President Ernest Bai Koroma.
One can breathe a sigh of relief at last there is light in Freetown but a wise man will reflect on where the light comes from is there no light. We know that the first phase of Bumbuna Hydro-electric power can not supply the entire Freetown unless there is a backup generator but effort needs to be made for those that are hosting the light to have theirs. I believe they embrace development with all their hearts.
I hope and pray that the completion of the second phase of the project will lead to 24 hours power supply for the people of Bumbuna and the capital city of Freetown as there are many areas in the city that are left in total darkness for weeks when their only hope and source of income is from the light.
It will be a pat on the back of the National Power Authority to speedily transform the country to 24 hours power supply zone in West Africa.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Awards In 2019… GT-SIMPAY Drives GTBank With Another Award

Providence Students Takes Centre Stage To Celebrate 10th Anniversary

Africell Gives Over Le 242 Million To Subscribers