Thank God Africell Is Taking Us There

It was indeed five days ago after a stressful working day that I returned home thinking of what the next day will be.

After my supper, I relaxed in my bed listening to the BBC, a minute after 20:00 hours the news break about testing the next generation 4G network with 02's Derek Mc Manus.
That breaking news left me wondering about the rapidly new technology the world is advancing to and what the world will become in the next fifty years. I sat there thinking about that technology report sent by the BBC correspondent Rory Cellan-Jones. He said countries ranging from Sweden to Germany and the United States, are moving ahead more rapidly with rolling out the new technology. He continued to say that there is mounting concern that the United Kingdom could be left behind.
"I have down loaded an episode of David Attenborough's Frozen planet in about a minute and viewed You Tube videos in the middle of London without a hint of buffering. I have even tested a live broadcast using nothing but a laptop connected to a mobile phone network. All of this has been as a result of the 4G technology which is already being rolled out in many parts of the world but won't be widely available in the UK until 2013 at the earliest."
When Cellan-Jones said these words, I laughed, thinking why the UK will be so late to get such technology. "The UK leads Europe in people adopting smart phones but the next generation…" Angus McCarey from eBay told Cellan Jones that 3G arrived in 2003, but it would take ten years old before 4G arrives. That may not sound long, but in the history of technology it is a very long time.
The words which Cellan-Jones said when he was asked about Africa are "Africa is far behind because the continent is still using 2G" I laid my head on my pillow but as soon as I stretched my left hand, it landed on my phone. "Africa is far behind but Sierra Leone is moving forward. We are not lagging behind I have 3G with me," I said to myself. That prompted me to start browsing the net to figure out information about 4G for my next working day.
"Thank God for africell" I said to myself while browsing. "owning an africell line certainly makes a difference, I was contemplating this statement from one of the senior staff of the company which he made at Sussex in 2008. Those words which he said, I have begun to see it in reality in 2011. The company is close to his six years in this country and today Sierra Leone can boast of 3G, it is remarkable for us because it took four years between africell and 3G in World.
Sitting by Balani, one of the prominent business men in the country during the official launch of africell 3G on the 5th Aughst 2011 he whispered to me "it is only now India is having theirs. It shows that the country is not lagging behind."
I was impressed to get such news from such a prominent man like that.
The launch of africell 3G in the country has sent home a message that they are not here to play but to take Sierra Leone to an other level. We have been saying that the world is a Global Village without doing anything about advanced technology. A world can only be a global village where one country follows the development of other nations but not to sit down talking about it. For instance, the banks are coming with advance business such as online banking to bring themselves closer to the global village and make transition easier for their customer. The news about the 4G gave me a sleepless night as I began to look at several statements made by GSM operators in the country. "Our investment this year alone of $20 million dollars with leading suppliers will make it possible for us to establish between 30 to 60 new sites before the end of the year. This investment will also make it possible for us to provide the most technologically advanced network for our subscribers. We will also be able to provide many other value added services in addition to existing services." This were exactly the words said to me by one of the senior officials of africell. I see the company achieving all of these dreams which they started in 2007.
The various contributions that africell have made to society have significantly made a positive change in the lives of many Sierra Leoneans; over and above the provision of excellent mobile telecommunication services. Africell has made it a point of duty to contribute to the development of various sectors through their corporate social responsibility.
The kind gesture of africell can be clearly seen in the country, subscribers are engaging in free internet facility from their phone for over two month considering the cost of internet browsing in the country. It is truly a unique and rewarding experience, their promotions are the most exciting and most of them are aimed at improving the welfare of their subscribers. "We are rewarding our subscribers as part of our Corporate Social Responsibility and also thanking them for making us the number one GSM operator in Sierra Leone" Media Relations Supervisor Tommy Terry Coker told me. No wonder I saw a change in this year's promotion thanks to the new team that is motivating the team and give it a good spirit. The money na yu domot and gentri na yu domot prove that africell is welling to reward it`s subscribers more than any other network.
One common thing I found out about africell is that it is very difficult to identify who is the boss from the Chief Executive Officer, Shadi Gerjawi which I called the mixer to cleaner you will see team spirit amongst them. No wonder they are getting results at the end of the day.
It is of great value for us to state that africell has made the mark and such mark is not only for them but for Sierra Leone and it people. I will lift up my head in any part I find my self in the world to boastfully say that Sierra Leone is part of the global village with 3G.
I am sure that when the 4G comes into operation next year that africell will follow suit as they are the only network that leads others follow
The 4G trials are giving us some idea of what kind of contributions 4G will make to our connected future. But from business and consumers, the message to the mobile networks is clear-just get on with it. Thank God for with africell we will surely get on with it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Awards In 2019… GT-SIMPAY Drives GTBank With Another Award

Providence Students Takes Centre Stage To Celebrate 10th Anniversary

Africell Gives Over Le 242 Million To Subscribers